Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Ayyy Yaahh!


You know how busy we all are and how hard it is to take the time out to do something for someone else sometimes? Have you ever then done something and realized it was a gift to you, not just a favor for someone else?
Well, my family had the great privilege of watching some of our family friend's children (are you still with me?) test for their black belt's in Tae kwon do.  My children also practice TKD. They all have gained so much confidence, strength and friendships throughout their practice. Two of their favorite people in the world are their first instructors, Mr. and Mrs. Moh.  They moved to LA a couple of years ago and Mr. Moh is acting now.  He appears in the CW kids show, Kamen Rider.  Pretty cool, huh?
Anyway, their was a group of kids testing for their black belt and we all wanted to be there to watch, but time was so tight, we didn't know how to make it.  Thank goodness we did, we enjoyed it so much.  Most of the kids were under 13 yrs old.  They had to break boards, do forms with so many moves and position- I lost count! They also had to spar and answer questions from the judges who were made up of some very high ranking black belts.  They all handled themselves with such grace, it was truly inspiring.  Ms.K and Mr, Niska run the school and they where both very emotional when they were able to hand out the black belts to this deserving group.  Come to think of it, I don't think there was dry eye in the place, but many full hearts.

Back to cake! I made a cake for two for the families and cookies for another.  One of the mom's joked with me and asked if the belt was removable in case they didn't get their black belt.  She still had to feed a house full of people ya know!

Here is the one for Jackson. He had the most determined look on his face all day, there was no doubt that he would achieve his goal.

Here is the one for Heather.  We all knew she had it in her and it was so great watching her discover it too! 

I made the two different so each had their own personalized cake.  The patches are made out of fondant, then I just let them dry out a bit and painted them.  I thought they turned out pretty good and gave the uniform a more real look. 

My girls will test for their recommended black belts this July (you have to test for your recommended black belt, them after a few months, if you are ready, you may test for your decided black belt).  I think I am nervous for them already.  But also so proud that they have made this one of their goals.

So, my advice, for what it's worth.  Take time and do something for someone or with someone else, even though it may not be convenient and scheduled.  I think you will find a gift in there for you just as we did that special "black" day!

No comments:

Post a Comment